Monday 3 March 2014

Lesson One of Warfare | Poem

I wrote this for Bath Impact, my university's student newspaper. The theme of the issue was 'Vanity' and it was originally published on Monday, February 24th, 2014.

"Rule one: be prepared"
It had been stressed often enough.
So every day before heading out
I prepare myself.

First: Camouflage.
I buff paint into my skin, blending different pigments
So that I blend in with my surroundings,
It's safer that way.

Second: Equipment
My communications device is fully charged.
I check it - no messages - and stow it away.
Nearly ready to go.

Third: Provisions.
Nutrition vouchers, all stocked up.
Cards, paper, and transport tokens.
Time to report for duty.

I look once more in the mirror,
Shake out my hair,
Zip up my boots,
Touch up my lipstick, and
Head into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment